Experienced barrister with particular expertise in criminal prosecutions and defence.
A grounding in administrative and personal injury law before specialising as a police prosecutor has assisted in developing a solid base of legal knowledge.
Experienced in various roles from case analysis, to the provision of written advice, case preparation and advocacy.
Specialises in improper use of police powers of arrest, search and detain.
A determined court advocate and clear thinker who enjoys excellent working relationships with fellow legal practitioners and members of the judiciary.
Always clearly focused on providing best possible client outcomes whilst upholding the highest ethical standards expected of the profession.
Select Career Milestones
- Successful prosecution of a range of criminal offences on behalf of New South Wales Police
- Lawyer with carriage of the response to the Police Integrity Commission’s
investigation into drug use within New South Wales Police
- Lawyer with carriage of the New South Wales Police’s response to a
Parliamentary Inquiry into the 2004 Redfern Riots; and subsequent WorkCover prosecution
- Acquittal of a man on serious drug supply charges in Port Macquarie District Court on the basis police illegally searched his home
- Acquittal of a man on sexual assault charges in Sydney District Court after successfully arguing that subpoenaed exculpatory counselling notes should be admitted in the trial
- Barrister – Edmund Barton Chambers
October 2011 to present
- Representing accused persons in all jurisdictions
- Specialising in criminal trial defence work
- Appear in select commercial and family law matters
- Police Prosecutions Command – New South Wales Police
October 2005 – September 2007, February 2009 – present
- Prosecute a range of offences on behalf of New South Wales Police, including assaults, property offences, drug offences, fraud and traffic offences
- Appear and advise on matters relating to proper exercise of police powers e.g. powers of arrest, search and entries
- Legal Executive – Hussey Fraser Solicitors, Dublin, Ireland
October 2007 – October 2008 (career break from NSW Police)
Hussey Fraser Solicitors is a mid-size Dublin based firm providing legal services in the areas of building and construction disputes and personal injury/insurance claims.
- Managing a large practice of over 150 accident compensation claims
- Drafting and filing originating process, pleadings, affidavits and other legal documents
- Lawyer – Civil Law Division, New South Wales Police Legal Services
June 2003 – October 2005
The Civil Law Division of New Wales Police Legal Services was responsible for all civil claims commenced against the organisation as well as providing corporate responses to external oversight bodies and Parliamentary Committees.
- Instruct the Crown Solicitor’s Office and external counsel in relation to claims with substantial corporate and financial risk
- Provide advice to the Police Executive and Police Ministry in relation to contesting, settling or mediating claims
- Liaise with external oversight bodies such as the Ombudsman and Police Integrity Commission
- Police Officer – New South Wales Police
May 2001 – June 2003
- General Duties policing in Redfern and City Local Area Commands
- Called to the Bar – October 2011
- Accredited Specialist Police Prosecutor – February 2007
- Solicitor – Admitted to Supreme Court of New South Wales – June 2005
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Law – University of Technology Sydney – 1995 – 2000
St. Joseph’s College – Hunters Hill 1990-1995
Rugby League, Golf, Diving, Fishing
1. Andrew Kostopoulos
Edmund Barton Chambers
Ph: 0419 622 204
2. Michael Holmes
Local Court Magistrate
Ph: 0428 731 171