Areas of Practice
- Family Law – parenting and property matters
- Wills and Probate, including Family Provision
- Equity & Trusts
- Commercial Litigation
Chris Lawrence practises mainly in the areas of Family Law and Equity and Estates.
Chris’s practice has a strong focus on Family Law. He is briefed to represent clients in both property and parenting proceedings. He is a member of the Law Council’s Family Law Section.
A large amount of Chris’s work is also in the fields of Equity and Estates. He provides advocacy and advice in matters including family provision claims, contested wills, trusts and property. Chris has authored articles and given a number of papers to other lawyers in the area.
Chris also undertakes a broad range of other work including matters involving bankruptcy, corporations, contracts, employment law, insolvency, intellectual property, misrepresentations, partnerships, and professional negligence.
Called to the NSW Bar in 2006, Chris practised from Seventh Floor Garfield Barwick Chambers and, since 2008, has been a member of Edmund Barton Chambers. He was previously a solicitor at a boutique Sydney firm working in the areas of employment and commercial litigation acting for banks, insurers and other corporate clients and individuals. Having worked previously at the office of the NSW DPP, he is also regularly briefed to appear for clients in criminal matters.
Supreme Court of New South Wales
High Court of Australia
Barrister, Sydney Bar
Solicitor, Shanahan Tudhope Lawyers, Sydney
Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (NSW), Sydney
Articles and Papers
- Family Provision Claims – Legalwise CLE, February 2017
- Family Provision Claims by Grandchildren, Law Society Journal, February 2015
- Powers of Attorney New Forms and Capacity Issues, 19 March 2014
- Appointment of Enduring Guardians, 19 March 2014
- Family Provision Claims under the Succession Act 2006 (NSW), 7 March 2014
- Family Provision Claims under the Succession Act 2006 (NSW), 20 March 2013
- Opinion Evidence (2012) 50(3) Law Society Journal 56
- Remedies on Termination of Employment, 21 March 2012
- Employment Law Update, EBC News, August 2010
- Penalty Clauses in Agreements: Enforcement and Avoidance, 18 March 2009